The dairy industry of the Lower Murray-Darling Basin can do much to ensure its future.
The medium and long-term shape of dairying in the region is dependent on acting on current realities and a practical approach to future prospects.
Early in 2009 farmers and industry sought a long-term response to the significant and ongoing challenges in the Basin and the structural changes occurring both pre- and post- farm gate. In partnership with industry, Dairy Australia commissioned An Inquiry into Dairying in the Lower Murray-Darling Basin, a process of information collection, analysis, engagement and independent assessment with the community of the Lower Murray-Darling Basin.
Lower Murray-Darling Basin: the Facts, the Future
Lower Murray-Darling Basin: the Facts, the Future is the preliminary industry-led response to the Inquiry. It outlines a platform of activity from which dialogue with industry and government can begin. It aims to build a foundation for industry action and the creation of improved certainty and confidence.
The Inquiry process
The Inquiry into Dairying in the Lower Murray-Darling Basin sought to provide clarity around the key drivers that are, and will, influence the trajectory of the dairy industry in the region into the future.
The Inquiry drew together a comprehensive suite of information with the key output of the Inquiry being the report A dry argument: a future for dairy in the Murray Basin authored by Roger Beale, Dr John Radcliffe and Peter Ryan.
Click here to view part 1 of A dry argument: a future for dairy in the Murray Basin?, this is a large document, and may take several minutes to download
Click here to view part 2 of A dry argument: a future for dairy in the Murray Basin? this is a large document, and may take several minutes to download
Other reference materials included:
- Visits and meetings with dairy farmers and stakeholders in every major dairy district.
- Meetings with Catchment Management Authorities, dairy processors, local government authorities, and all relevant State and Australian Government departments.
- Submissions from, and meetings with, a range of academic experts and consultants
- A series of background papers commissioned by Dairy Australia, which are available for download - see the 'Relevant Documents' section at top right of this page
- Other relevant publicly available reports, publications and submissions
- Modelling work on scenarios developed by the Centre of Policy Studies (Monash University) and by the consultancy firm Fresh Logic.