Dairy Australia is the national services body for the Australian dairy industry. We act as the collective investment arm of the industry, investing in essential research, development, extension and industry services.
DairySA provides regional support to Dairy Australia and works with the national levy-based organisation to deliver industry services to dairy farmers in the state.
Dairy S.A/Dairy Australia are looking for a part-time (4 day per week) Regional Extension Officer based out of either Mt Gambier or Naracoorte to provide effective leadership, facilitation and support for the dairy industry by delivering innovative, well planned and collaborative regional extension activities in dairy regions. The role will drive maximum practice change to achieve profitability and sustainability improvements on dairy farms.
The role has a strong focus on working closely with regional networks, including dairy advisers and service providers, to ensure that dairy farmers, advisers and service providers are well engaged in extension activities where relevant and are kept up to date on regional, state and national dairy R,D&E programs and information.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that regional program delivery is aligned to regional priorities and industry targets. This includes initiating development of extension activities or other support if gaps related to priority regional needs are identified.
- Coordinating and implementing plans and activities to ensure regional extension and education delivery is effective and duplication of effort is minimised.
- Communicating information between farmers, the RDP, Dairy Australia, the NCDE and service providers, including gathering feedback, passing on information and reporting where relevant.
- Strong engagement and connecting people to ensure extension and education activities function well, people have valid and timely information, and networks are strong and effective.
Highly regarded although not essential experience would include:
- Exposure to the Dairy or Agriculture sector with experience in Animal Health/Nutrition
- Exposure to or understanding of the Natural Resource Management programs (NRM)
- Exposure to Feedbase, mixed ration and forage in Dairy Australia
If you have other skills that you feel could be transferred and have a genuine interest in the role of Regional Extension Officer we would encourage you to apply.
- Australian Residency or eligibility to legally work in Australia.
- Driver’s License – Minimum current ‘C’ Class.
- Access to own office space, if required.
- Requirement for regional travel including overnight stays if required.
It’s important to note that you don't have to be an expert in all areas of the extension role. We will help fill in the gaps as well as leveraging external expertise when required for workshops. Most important will be your ability to engage with Farmers at workshops and on an individual level to provide them with the tools, information, expertise and training to support a sustainable and profitable Dairy Industry for the region. Attitude, organisation and delivery of outcomes of crucial in this role!
Why work for Dairy Australia:
Dairy Australia is the national services body for the dairy industry. Our employees are passionate about helping farmers adapt to the changing operating environment, and achieve a profitable, sustainable dairy industry.
At Dairy Australia, we aim to provide benefits that promote the overall wellbeing of our employees. This includes vaccinations and health checks as well as salary packaging and paid parental leave.
To submit your application for this opportunity, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regional Extension Officer – South East SA (DOC, 35KB)