Dairy SA/Dairy Australia are looking for a Part-time (3 day per week) Regional Extension Officer based in the South East to provide effective leadership, facilitation and support for the dairy industry by delivering innovative, well planned and collaborative regional extension activities in dairy regions. The role will drive maximum practice change to achieve profitability and sustainability improvements on dairy farms.
The role has a strong focus on working closely with regional networks, including dairy advisers and service providers, to ensure that dairy farmers, advisers and service providers are well engaged in extension activities where relevant and are kept up to date on regional, state and national dairy R,D&E programs and information.
The key responsibilities of the position include:
- Ensuring that regional program delivery is aligned to regional priorities and industry targets. This includes initiating development of extension activities or other support if gaps related to priority regional needs are identified
- Strong engagement and connecting people to ensure extension and education activities function well, people have valid and timely information, and networks are strong and effective
- Regional delivery of Dairy Australia programs and extension activities including Young Dairy Network, Dairy Discussion Groups, and other programs delivered through the Annual Operating Plan
- Identifying and progressing funding opportunities to deliver programs with a focus on land, water and carbon.
Highly regarded although not essential experience would include:
- Exposure to the Dairy or Agriculture sector with experience in Animal Health/ Land, Water Carbon
- Exposure to or understanding of Natural Resource Management programs (NRM)
- Exposure to Dairy Australian programs eg Feedbase, mixed ration and forage
- Australian Residency or eligibility to legally work in Australia
- Driver’s License – Minimum current ‘C’ Class
- Access to own office space, if required
- Requirement for regional travel including overnight stays (if required)
It’s important to note that you don't have to be an expert in all areas of the extension role. We will help fill in the gaps as well as leveraging external expertise when required for workshops. Most important will be your ability to engage with Farmers at workshops and on an individual level to provide them with the tools, information, expertise and training to support a sustainable and profitable Dairy Industry for the region. Attitude, organisation and delivery of outcomes are crucial in this role!
Why work for Dairy Australia:
Dairy Australia is the national services body for the dairy industry. Our employees are passionate about helping farmers adapt to the changing operating environment, and achieve a profitable, sustainable dairy industry.
At Dairy Australia, we aim to provide benefits that promote the overall wellbeing of our employees. This includes vaccinations and health checks as well as salary packaging and paid parental leave.
To submit your application, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regional Extension Officer – South East SA (PDF, 127 KB).