Herd recording provides accurate information to assist farmers in making herd management decisions. Some examples include
- Which cows to dry off, using individual milk production data.
- Which animals should be sold, using milk production data
- For which cows would selective dry-cow therapy be appropriate, using individual cow cell counts.
- Assess the production level of first-calf heifers to see how well replacements are being reared, using milk production data.
- Assess herd reproductive performance, using the InCalf Fertility Focus Report
- Identify actions to improve cell count, using the Mastitis Focus Report
- Select the best cows to breed from, using Australian Breeding Values (ABVs)
Herd Test Dashboard
- DataGene’s Herd Test Dashboard is a tool for farmers who herd test.
- It provides a herd level picture and helps identify herd health issues.
- It also provides alerts on individual cows
For more information refer to DataGene.
Technote 7: The benefits of herd recording (PDF, 312B)
- Herd recording provides useful information to assist farmers in making herd management decisions.
- Accurate genetic selection and culling decisions can be made by using herd recording data.
Technote 10: Using the Production index (PDF, 451KB)
- A PI allows you to compare the performance of cows within a herd, based on current lactation information.
- A cow's PI and ABVs (including ASI) cannot be compared.
- Use PI as a tool to cull animals, use ABVs as a tool to breed replacements.