Read hay statistics and data about the Atherton Tableland region.
Change in price is the change since the last report. Hay quoted is sourced and delivered locally, GST exclusive unless stated otherwise. It should be noted that local prices quoted may not be the cheapest available, sourcing it from another region may be more affordable, and buyers are encouraged to evaluate all options. Prices are indicative to a mid-range shedded product, and based on the best indication of market value at the time of reporting. It should be noted there is a wide variation in quality of hay, prices for a mid-range product will not reflect the weighted average of trade. Prices will naturally vary based on the product quantity and quality, buyer/seller relationship and the size of the trade.
It was a sunny, hot dry week in the Atherton Tablelands. No rainfall was recorded in the region.
- It has been good hay making weather but there is very little hay left to be made. There are some paddocks that should be ready for a cut in the coming weeks.
- Demand for hay, while strong, has eased a little in the Atherton Tablelands. Demand is coming from both within and outside the region. Hay supplies are limited and are moving fast. Most of the hay being made is already committed.
- Pasture hay prices have eased this week.
- Pasture hay: -30 ($400 to $440/t). Prices have eased this week
- Note: Hay in the Atherton Tablelands is traditionally priced at $/bale, so it is important to check bale weights for conversion. The price range indicated is for feeds of varying quality with the price range generally indicative of quality of feed. We recommend feed testing and viewing of fodder before purchase to be sure of the quality of feed.
- Due to the shortage of hay in the region, it is cautioned to be wary of the weight of bales, with farmers packing lighter bales for sale.
This report has been commissioned by Dairy Australia to provide an independent and timely assessment of grain and hay markets in each dairying region. It should be remembered that actual prices may vary for quality or other reasons. Whilst all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this report, to the fullest extent permitted by Australian law Dairy Australia disclaims all liability for any inadvertent errors and for any losses or damages stemming from reliance upon its content. Dairy Australia recommends that all persons seek independent advice and, where appropriate, advice from a qualified adviser, before making any decisions about changes to business strategy.